Saturday, September 19, 2009

New Clay Technique


These beads were an experiment using a technique I found in a book called Polymer Pizazz presented by Bead and Button Magazine.  Two artists -- Jody Bishel and Aya Teshima -- each wrote instructions for a type of hollow bead, both using cornstarch packing peanuts.  I decided to try my own version, and these beads were the result.  You can't really tell from the picture that the beads are hollow, but they are.  I only made a few and strung them with some glass seed beads and hematite to make this bracelet.  I like the way they turned out, but next time I try it, I'm going to leave bigger holes, both to see the hollow design better and to make it easier to get the packing peanut out.  They're water soluble, and they do disintigrate, but I still had to poke and prod the slimy pieces out of those tiny holes.  Blech.  However, the technique itself has given me some really cool ideas that I hope I'll be able to transfer from my head into reality.

As for everything else, well, this week has been really hard as far as the diet goes -- wait, I was supposed to be on a diet? -- and I've been working 10 hour shifts at work, so I haven't had a lot of time to do anything besides work and sleep.  Should be a nicer paycheck than usual, though.  :)  I'm really happy to have a two day weekend (I worked last Saturday and will have to work next Saturday) so I'm going to make the most of it by getting laundry done, cleaning my room, and working on some art projects.  Hopefully, by tomorrow evening, I'll have more pictures to post.  :)

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Oooh, those are so pretty!!! I'd love to learn how to make them.

Sorry you've been so busy this past week. Hopefully this coming week will come with a renewed determination to do better. Hugs!!!